Thursday, January 21, 2010

1 through 10 in no particular order

1. It's Not Unusual by Tom Jones (2:00)

Grandpa and Grandma had a rec room with a full bar in it. On one side of the door Grandpa had a blue velvet painting of a bare-breasted Polynesian girl. On the other side Grandma had a black and white poster of Tom Jones singing in a tuxedo. I miss that painting, but do have some Tom Jones playing every once in a while.


2. Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie by Black Flag (1:47)

At my old job, Mike would reminisce about Black Flag shows he would see where Henry Rollins would punch the faces of people in the front row. "It was so cool", Mike would say. Being a born again Christian, Mike was conflicted.


3. Cat Walk by Beat Happening (1:59)

I put this song on a mix tape for Carol when we first started dating. This is the only song I think she liked. I’ve listened to that tape a couple of times. This is the only song I think I like.


4. If It's In You by Syd Barrett (1:57)

I like the part when Syd starts singing and then stops because he came in too early. I do that, too.


5. Surrender by Elvis Presley (1:55)

When Carol and I visited Graceland, we met a man named Jesse. Jesse said he was “Elvis’ real Pappy.” He told us a long sordid story about his one night stand with Grace Presley. He went on to tell us about being in the CIA and being one of the “original Top Guns.” Jesse really started to creep us out after a while.


6 Reno Dakota by The Magnetic Fields (1:05)

Pantone 292 really is quite a nice blue. Soft and quiet.


7. If It Were Left Up To Me by Sly & The Family Stone (1:59)

“If it were left up to me/ It would take more than a notion”, but I always thought they said it would take more than an ocean.


8. My Funny Valentine by Elvis Costello (1:30)

This was my introduction to Elvis Costello. In college, I found Miles Davis’ version at the library, but I couldn’t hear the melody in it. I was disappointed. It was another 3 years before I could listen to Miles again.


9. I'm In Love With A Girl by Big Star (1:48)

I tried putting together a Makeout CD. This was on it. The CD was really hard to do, and it never really came out the way I wanted it to, but children by the millions sing for Alex Chilton when he comes 'round. The CD was titled GLOBAL WARMING, but I'm thinking of changing it to PARTYING WITH DON HART.


10. Bloodstains by Agent Orange (1:53)

Joe and I went to see Agent Orange at the Washington Performance Hall. I was driving up 14th and had Joe keep a lookout for the cross-street, Fir Street. We passed it twice before finding it because he was looking for Fur Street. When the band played Bloodstains all the kids in the balcony jumped down to the dance floor. It was raining punks.


No comments:

Post a Comment