Friday, January 8, 2010

"Yacht-punk"??

"The key to enjoying Contra, Vampire Weekend's second collection of blissfully erudite yacht-punk... "

http://www.villagevoice.com/2010-01-05/music/operation-ivy-league-on-vampire-weekend-s-vastly-bewildering-contra?src=newsletter

I love the idea of this category! What defines it? Can you guys think of other examples of yacht-punk? Marcy and I just came up with a few this morning:
The Decemberists?
Tom Tom Club?
Cake?
They Might Be Giants?
Ben Folds Five (but NOT Ben Folds solo)?

5 comments:

  1. Why am I thinking Haircut 100 or The Saltines?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, I'm LOVING Haircut 100! Which makes me wanna add Spandau Ballet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What makes them yacht-punk and not just yacht-rock? And should Vampire Weekend be pissed or jazzed about this? I'm guessing pissed.

    ReplyDelete

What the youth of today are listening to

It's time for my annual Cognitive Psychology Music Club - they've picked their favorite songs!  Enjoy!